The following changes have been made to the sites in
National Parks Live!: A Student's Internet Tour of the United States National Parks.
The changes have been added to the list of links for the book,
so you can just go to that page and link directly to the
new or modified sites when you use the book.
*This book is out of print. That doesn't mean it can't be used, but the Web links may not be up-to-date. It has been 6 1/2 years since the original publication and 4 1/2 years since the second publication of this book - a long life for an Internet-based book. We're sorry for any inconvenience this may cause - please continue to enjoy the book for as long as the Web sites remain available.
**The URL for John Donohues National Park Photos, which is used in most of these activities, has changed to http://www.serve.com/wizjd/parks/parks.html.
Activity 1: Public Lands and the National Park Service
A. The Public Lands Quiz is available at http://www.nwf.org/kids/quizindex.cfm.
Activity 2: The History and Creation of the National Parks
A. Research and Notes
The Modesto Bee page is no longer available.
John Muir: Wilderness Hero has been changed to http://myhero.com/hero.asp?hero=j_muir.
Use Yellowstone National Park History:
and The Total Yellowstone Page History:
Activity 3: Important Issues in the National Parks
B. Major Park Issues
The Greater Yellowstone Observer site is no longer available.
The Greater Yellowstone Coalition site has moved to: http://www.greateryellowstone.org
"Fire - A Natural Process" and "Western Imprints - Fire Facts" are no longer available. Instead, use National Geographic Radio Expeditions, Yellowstone Fires: http://www.nationalgeographic.com/radiox/yellowstone/index.html
Activity 4: Endangered Species in the Parks
B. Endangered Species
The Endangered Species Tour is now at http://www.nwf.org/kids/cool/leopard1.html
C. The EE-Link Endangered Species page has changed to http://eelink.net/EndSpp
Activity 5: The History and Landscape of Acadia
B. Acadia's History
Use "History of Acadia" at http://www.acadia.net/w95026/w95026ap.html
C. Art and Poetry About Acadia
The Maine Artists On-Line Gallery is no longer available. Instead, use the Bayview Gallery: http://WWW.BayviewGallery.Com/artists.html
Activity 6: The Everglades and Wetlands Ecosystems
C. Overview of Wetlands Ecosystems
2) Use the Wetlands Info page: http://nwf.org/wetlands/learnmore.html
C. 1) "A North Carolina Treasure" is no longer available.
Activity 8: Exploring Mammoth Cave
B. The Virtual Cave page has changed to http://www.goodearthgraphics.com/virtcave.html.
Activity 9: Geology and History in Big Bend
"Welcome to Big Bend" has changed to http://hotx.com/bigbend
Activity 10: Taking the Family to Rocky Mountain National Park
B. Planning the Trip
Instead of the Armchair Tour at the Estes Park Virtual Visitors Guide, use Estes Park's Virtual Vacation Planner: http://www.EstesParkResort.com
The "Unofficial" Rocky Mountain National Park Home Page is no longer available.
Activity 11: The Ancient Cultures of Mesa Verde
B. 3) The Story of Mesa Verde page has changed to http://www.nps.gov/meve/mvnp/smvf/p3.htm
C. An Anasazi Building
1) The Great Kiva site is now at
Activity 12: The Geological Oddities and Animals of Yellowstone
B. Introduction to Yellowstone's Geology
1) Use The Official Website of Yellowstone National Park: http://www.nps.gov/yell/home.htm for this section.
2) The Jason project is back online. Its new URL is http://www.jason.org/expeditions/jason8/index.html
C. More Details
Fantastic Journeys: Yellowstone has been changed to http://www.nationalgeographic.com/yellowstone/index.html
Activity 13: School Field Trip to the Grand Canyon
B. Virtual Field Trip
1) The Redwood City Middle School field trip is no longer available for now. We're trying to get it back!
2) Under "Sites to use," the National Geographic Society's Park of the Month page is no longer available.
Activity 14: A Road Trip Through the National Parks of Utah
Use these sites for Arches National Park:
GORP Arches National Park: http://www.gorp.com/gorp/resource/US_National_Park/ut_arche.HTM
Arches National Park: http://www.swlink.net/~southwest/utah/arch/arches.html
Canyonlands National Park Website Visitor Center has moved to http://www.nps.gov/cany/home.htm
Use this site for Zion National Park: http://www.zioncanyon.com
D. State License Plates
This site has changed to: http://danshiki.oit.gatech.edu/~iadt3mk/usa/US_UTXX.html
Activity 15: Hiking in Joshua Tree
B. Virtual Hike
1) A Desert Park has been changed to http://www.nps.gov/jotr/desert/desert.html
Activity 16: The Channel Islands and Their Inhabitants
B. Marine Sanctuary
1) The Channel Islands National Marine Sanctuary site has been changed to http://www.cinms.nos.noaa.gov
C. Channel Islands National Park
The Island Packers site has moved to http://www.islandpackers.com.
Activity 17: Yosemite: Too Many Visitors?
B. A First Visit to Yosemite Valley
2) At the John Muir Exhibit, first select "Writings by John Muir," and then select "The Treasures of the Yosemite."
C. Yosemite's Many Visitors
1) At the John Muir Exhibit, first select "Writings by John Muir," and then select "Favorite Quotations - selected by Harold Wood ."
2) The statistics page is no longer available.
3) The Modesto page is no longer available. Instead, have students use this article: http://www.yosemite.org/newsroom/clips2000/may/051800.htm.
4) Use the 1980 General Management Plan for Yosemite Valley: http://www.nps.gov/yose/planning/gmp/yovalley.html and for Yosemite Village: http://www.nps.gov/yose/planning/gmp/village.html
*Have students look at the latest Yosemite Valley Plan: http://www.nps.gov/yose/planning
Activity 18: Sustaining the Old Growth Forest
B. The Forests
2) The Rainforest Action Networks Headwaters Forest page is no longer available. Instead, have students go through the tour at http://mbgnet.mobot.org/sets/rforest/index.htm (select "Temperate Rainforest Scrapbook") to learn about the temperate rainforest ecosystem. They'll be able to answer questions b anc c from the book.l
C. The Landscape
1) The Biomes of the World page has changed to http://mbgnet.mobot.org/sets/index.htm
3) Use the Humboldt Redwoods State Park page: http://www.humboldtredwoods.org. Link to "About Redwoods."
1) The maps of old growth forests are now available at http://www.forestcouncil.org/learnmore/logging.htm
3) The following changes have been made to the sites in this section:
"How Does Clearcutting Affect Alaska's Forests?" has been moved to: http://www.akforest.org/clrcut.htm
"Clearcutting as Harvest Technique" is no longer available. Instead, use The Clearcutting Controversy - Myths and Facts: http://www.wvu.edu/~agexten/forestry/clrcut.htm
"The Case Against Clearcutting" is no longer available.
4) The following changes have been made to the sites in this section:
The Envirolink Library: Clearcutting page is no longer available.
The Clearcutting Controversy - Myths and Facts has been moved to: http://www.wvu.edu/~agexten/forestry/clrcut.htm
Activity 19: Wildlife and the Oil Business in Alaska
B. Gates of the Arctic N.P. and Arctic National Wildlife Refuge
2) The Tundra Biome Page has changed to http://mbgnet.mobot.org/sets/tundra/index.htm
3) Use this page for the Porcupine Caribou Herd: http://arcticcircle.uconn.edu/ANWR/anwrcaribou.html. Have students skim this page to find the answers to the questions in the book.
C. Kenai Fjords National Park
2) Use http://www.oilspill.state.ak.us, and link to "Historical Info. on Spill."
Activity 20: A Trip to Hawaii
B. The Landscape of the Big Island
2) The National Geographic site has been changed to http://www.nationalgeographic.com/hawaii/index.html
D. Tour the Park
1) The first tour ("Virtual Field Trips") is no longer available, so just use the second ("Waikea Intermediate School's Virtual Volcano Excursion."